Home > About HGS > Our Heritage

Our Heritage

Old_Building.jpg
Haig Girls' School (HGS) is one of only two government all-girls' primary schools in Singapore. HGS was established in September 1951 with an enrolment of 200 pupils housed in a double-storey school building at Jalan Tembusu, off Haig Road. In November 1999, the school relocated to its current site at Koon Seng Road.

new sch 1.jpg
Today, HGS has an enrolment of more than 1000 pupils. In recent years, the school has been recognised for its excellence in arts education, character education and curriculum innovation.

Our alumni have distinguished themselves in diverse fields. The school’s emphasis on nurturing character, leadership and creativity is a hallmark of an education at HGS that has endured over the decades.

HGS’ success in nurturing confident and creative young women leaders of character is a testimony to the school’s visionary leadership, dedicated teachers and supportive parents, past and present. Strength of character is a hallmark of the Haig Girl. This is exemplified in the words of our school song:

“Hard though the struggle, stronger our will.
Thru’ life’s test, we’ll pass with zeal.”